ApacheSim is comprised of the following tools:
- Vista & VistaPro
- Constructions Database
How it works
Calculations are based on first-principles models of heat transfer process and are driven by real weather data.
Data Entry Options
- Extensive database of global weather
- Data detailing layer-by-layer thermo-physical properties of building elements
- Comprehensive data on glazing systems including angle-dependent transmissivity and absorptivity
- Option to define electrochromic properties of glazing and shading devices that dynamically vary in response to model conditions within simulation
- Ability to define renewable energy generators: PV (parametric, free standing and high concentration), wind generators and CHP systems
- Sensible and latent gains from lights, equipment and occupants
- Natural ventilation, mechanical ventilation and infiltration
- Plant operation profiles and efficiency characteristics
- Powerful facilities for assigning and editing time-varying room data such as plant, casual gains and air exchanges
- Database of constructions
- Time-series profiles
- Tabular Edit feature for Building Template Manager & NCM (for UK Part L)
- Tabular Edit interface for entering properties of thermal templates, room thermal properties, HVAC systems and constructions. Gives ability to quickly enter data, review inputs and includes option to export and import *.csv files (e.g. Excel)
- Faster project setup using Master Template and Design Options features. The Master Templates feature delivers bulk data copying & rapid automatic seeding of data in to a project while the Design Option feature provides a means to make specific and targeted changes to specified data in a project
- Sub-metering options within ‘Energy Sources & Meters’ – create meters for all the fuels that exist in the model then sub-meter and collate this information in VistaPro
Input Data Visualisation Tool
Data assigned to your model can be visualised in ModelViewerII
- Apache can visualise many of the room variables in ModelViewerII including:
- Room conditions, ApacheSystem Types, Internal Gains, Air Exchanges and Constructions
- Utilise the variables within this tool to provide clearer visualisation of the model input data for:
- Model checking
- Separate out the floors to visualise and ‘exploded’ view of the floor plans
- In ModelViewerII the distance between the floors can be altered, the exploded view can be switched on or off, and the view can be reset
Free Navigator Capabilities
These innovative, easy to follow workflows enhance capabilities already available within ApacheSim. They incorporate Quality Assurance (QA) and offer guidance on key functionality from set-up through to simulation; saving users valuable time, and promoting easy team collaboration and training.
- Space templates
- Room Groupings (data)
- Module Analysis
- Building Energy (solar pre-sim requires SunCast)
- Building Loads (solar pre-calcs requires SunCast)
- User-controlled time steps down to 1 minute
- Idealised or detailed HVAC plant modeling
- Options for natural and mechanical ventilation; specify flows in advance or calculate using MacroFlo and ApacheHVAC
- Choice of models for internal and external convection
- Advanced Tariff Analysis feature allows complex utility tariffs such as varying Demand Side Management to be quickly set for easy comparison.
- Assess ASHRAE 55: 2013 & 2017 Comfort using PMV/PPD Analytical, Adaptive Thermal Comfort and Direct Solar Radiation Methods.
Parallel Simulation Manager
- Run multiple Apache Simulations simultaneously
- Automatically runs pre-simulations (SunCast and RadianceIES)
- Manages cores & queues simulations
- Faster simulation mode (divide the simulation year into blocks and run simultaneously)
ApacheSim is now up to 85% faster. Find out more here.
ApacheSim’s output database can be browsed to interrogate every aspect of building thermal performance, from individual surface temperatures to annual energy consumption.
- Results displayed in Vista and VistaPro, along with the weather data used to drive the simulation
- Results accessible via graphical views of the building with interrogation of data possible at a hierarchy of levels:
- Multiple tables and graphs are produced for results analysis including monthly summaries, ranges or user-specified synopses
- Chart axes can be user defined and results plotted as absolute values or else divided by floor area or room volume
- Room performance indicators include:
- Room temperatures: air, mean, radiant, dry, resultant
- ISO comfort indices: predicted mean Vote (PMV) and percentage of people Dissatisfied (PPD)
- Room Loads: heating, cooling, humidification, dehumidification
- Loads breakdowns: casual and solar gains, conduction and ventilation losses, plant inputs
- Surface temperatures
- Energy Consumption: Annual, Monthly, hourly
- Building and System performance indicators include:
- Totals of room and ventilation loads: heating cooling, humidification, dehumidification
- HVAC Loads
- Systems energy form Idealised plant heating and cooling energy or from ApacheHVAC linked simulation
- Energy Consumption: Annual, Monthly, hourly
- Carbon Emissions for system and building; option to breakdown by fuel
- Tariff analysis: operational cost reductions linked to energy consumption & fuel tariffs
- Energy Breakdown tab
- Use the ‘Categories’ section to expand Energy & Carbon for ‘Sources & Meters’ and ‘Uses’ options
- Essentially, different ways of aggregating the same data
- Multiple results can be displayed simultaneously or aggregated. Create post-processed user defined variables using one or more existing VistaPro variables. Define the functionality using arithmetic operators, functions and constants.
- Psychrometric Charts with options to display room thermal comfort and HVAC node state display or simulation weather file data
- Results can be displayed in both metric or Imperial (US) units
- Results can be exported to other windows applications for use in reports, presentations and further analysis
- Content Manager provides a central area to access and store all VE reports. VistaPro can generate the following reports:
- Heating and Cooling Report - Provides a monthly summary of the building systems energy consumption, CO2 consumption, basic comfort checks and peak loads breakdown.
- Room and Zone Loads Report for ApacheHVAC - Generate loads report for ASHRAE methods loads analysis run for Rooms, HVAC Zones or HVAC System Sizing analyses.
- Energy Report - Gives a graphical summary of the energy simulation results including; Energy End Use Consumption breakdown (Site Energy, Source Energy and CO2), Annual Energy Usage dashboard, Energy Use Intensity (EUI) chart and Energy Flows Sankey, associated Costs overview and view of Peak Electricity & Fossil Fuel consumptions alongside any Generators onsite.
- ‘Sessions’ in VistaPro
- A feature within VistaPro allowing the user to recreate all the open results; graphs or tables, that they may wish to save
- VistaPro retains the session meaning you can return to it at anytime
- Create multiple sessions for various analysis types and move between them
- Promotes efficient working methods – all analysis previously ‘open’ in VistaPro can be shown immediately